Saturday, October 13, 2007

4/19/06 - oink oink

April 19, 2006 - Wednesday

7:24 PM - oink oink

My next-door neighbor (not the periodic asker-outer, but the middle-of-the-night loud partier) just informed me that he'd be roasting a pig ("a hog, actually") this Sunday.

This is the weekend that my mom is coming to visit; Sunday is the day that my aunt (& her sister) will be driving down from S.C. for quality time. When I mentioned my mom's visit to Neighbor Boy last week, I asked that he keep his dog on a leash for the duration of my mom's stay, as she is really quite afraid of the animals. "No problem--actually, I'll be out of town, so there's no problem."

Turns out he will be in town. Roasting a 200 lb hog.

"So...did you kill it yourself?" I asked, thinking of how he responded to my complaints from last week when I first noticed his habit of shooting at birds and squirrels from his roof with a pellet gun.

"Kill it?"
"Yeah, did you hunt it yourself?"

"Well, it's not dead yet."

I stared at him blankly, wondering how he was going to find a hog to shoot by then. THEN it dawned on me: he had it stowed away at some farm nearby and would be slitting its throat sometime before the pig roast.

I was wrong.

"Well, that's what I was saying to ignore at 7 AM--that's when we're killing it. In the parking lot." I had the jaw-dropped-look minus the dropped jaw, as I was trying to mask my disgust and pretend that all was well. "Well, not the parking lot--but in the grass back there. We've got to slaughter it and cut it open and...." blah blah blah.

ick ick ick.

Now that I've ruined my appetite, I must make some queso dip for Elizabeth's get-together, which starts in 1 minute.

2 Comments

K

since you have guests you should treat it as a tourist attraction. take out the camera and snap some pix saying , "oh how darling." click, click. or rent a hotel room.

Posted by K on April 19, 2006 - Wednesday at 10:36 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


.Robin

the chattiest girl in athens (that's me) is speechless. I know you'll be busy with all the family stuff, so if you want me to round up some sort of protest, you just say the word. I'm still unemployed these days and could use a good cause....

Posted by .Robin on April 20, 2006 - Thursday at 8:44 PM

No comments: