Saturday, October 13, 2007

9/21/06 - a response to Amy's chipper blog: how to tell you're NOT in the best mood

September 21, 2006 - Thursday

6:52 PM - a response to Amy's chipper blog: how to tell you're NOT in the best mood

I shouldn't say I'm in a bad mood. I should say I'm "in a bad place," to use language that's been made somewhat dry and trite by the likes of Dr. Phil & Oprah. And the bad place is only in my head, and it's mainly just physical. And by that I mean: Ow. I can't think straight and my memory seems suddenly shot; and words are failing me left and right. It's really quite obnoxious. (Some of you may be breathing a sigh of relief.) So life is pretty good, it's just that I want it to pause for a bit so I can rest. But it keeps on going, dammit!

1. When your neighbor starts howling so that his dog will howl in unison. Usually, this is a charming trick performed by owner and dog, man and beast, that will make me laugh--granted, the process cannot last too long before it becomes stale. Today it began and immediately made me want to yell, "SHUT UP!"

2. Your BFF cousin Margie calls and you actually hit ignore. You've not talked to her in MONTHS! You have so much to say! Margie brightens your day and makes you smile and you love her and miss her and love her and miss her...and you are forced to hit "ignore incoming call" because you would just be no good on the phone right now.

3. Your boy-person calls from New York--from the NYU/Village neighborhood, in fact--and wants to know if you have any recommendations for a place for him to get a quick bite to eat, maybe one of your favorite places when you lived there. And you can't think of anywhere. You were there for four years of your life and ate hundreds of meals at restaurants on those very streets, and not one restaurant's name comes to mind. (Finally, Sammy's Noodle Shop occurs to you--whew. He hits up El Cantonero anyway, which is fine.) And as he passes the Strand, which you've told him about, he mentions it to you and you tear up with NYC homesickness. And when he asks if he can run in and buy you something you want, you instantly forget the name of every book you've ever wanted. (You probably wouldn't have asked for it anyway. But the memory's the issue here.)

4. You just spelled homesickness "homesickniss" and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and got mad at the computer and not yourself for spelling it wrong.

Time to try to fall asleep again. Let's hope the howling ritual has stopped for good.

One hour until the night o' TV.
Two hours 'til Grey's premiers!!!

3 Comments

This Profile No Longer Exists

[Remove]

anna

I had a day like that on monday. I woke up at 7 am, sat straight up and said, "my car!" So I ran out front, and it wasn't there. -not stolen, although that happened to me too on the first week I moved to LA, but towed from the spot I am so cautious every freaking day for at least a year to move it from. I cursed and threw my keys around for a few minutes, then a loooong trip through rush hour with mike to an impound lot where I paid $177 to spring my baby. Then as I can feel the tears welling up and am physically shaking from anger, I see there is another ticket on my windshield for $65. Oh well, s'just money, right! Oh yeah, and the memory thing... I totally get that too. Hope you are feeling much better as soon as possible!

Posted by anna on September 22, 2006 - Friday at 1:32 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Siobhan

Sweet baby! Don't put pressure on yourself to remember everything right this second while your head hurts. Rest assured in the fact that when your memory of all these places comes back to me, you can call me and rejoice in the fact that I will benefit! Doesn't that make you feel better? Plus, I can buy you books from Strand anytime you want. I know that's not as romantic as the guy friend doing it, but it's all I've got. Here's a wild idea: next time you're up here, we could buy them together!!!! Feel better, lovely.

Posted by Siobhan on September 22, 2006 - Friday at 2:37 PM

No comments: