Saturday, October 13, 2007

1/25/07 - lost my identity (again)

January 25, 2007 - Thursday

10:36 AM - lost my identity (again)

I've lost my license many times (physically, that is--I've never had the cops revoke it).

I broke it on my bony-ass butt (so to speak) while working at Toussaint L'Ouverture High School in Florida. I had it taken by wayward concert goers at the Tabernacle in Atlanta; it eased its way out of my pocket as I danced the night away in New York. A few Georgia licenses are around New York somewhere, and in 2001 one got into the hands of a friend's then-underage sister (who had it taken from her by a bouncer the very same night she procured it for her own use).

For the last year and a half, I've been carrying a license with the wrong name on it: Janet Gaddis apparently lived in my house until last week or so, when Liz and I finally went to the DMV and I changed my name to the way it should be (after having signed affadavits in various government offices swearing that Janet Gaddis and Janet Geddis were actually the same human being). A week later the license was gone. Where? I know not for sure. An apartment floor? On the street? In a restaurant? Being carried by a young girl who now is suddenly, miraciously of age to party like a rock star? One may never know. I do know that I have to go back to the DMV and get yet another license.

Two more comments on this issue.

1. The first is an excerpt of an email from my mother:
"Good luck finding the new license. You might go down on record as the person who at a young age has lost and found and lost and replaced, etc., her driver's license more than anyone else in the U.S.!!!!!!!!!!! "

2. Now, a little-known fact:
You CAN fly without a government-issued i.d. Just let 'em know you forgot yours and you have to go through that oh-so-secure extra screening (perfunctory bag check & pat down) and then can get right to the gate. So don't sweat it.

Currently listening :
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
By Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Release date: By 11 October, 2005

3 Comments

Christa

I am just waiting for the day they don't let me vote because some fuckface in the secretary of state's office registered me as "christi".

Posted by Christa on January 25, 2007 - Thursday at 1:59 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Jenn

haha, i have flown without valid ID as well. i am unfortunately very familiar with the pat down and bag check. on a different note, i need some advice. message or call me as soon as you receive this! xoxo

Posted by Jenn on January 26, 2007 - Friday at 4:46 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


amysalley

this one time i thought i had left my license with a boy i never wanted to see again and so i got a new one and then later i discovered that the old license had, in fact, merely dropped behind my dresser. so now i have two. apparently, that's illegal. you are not supposed to have too much identification. makes reality shift just a little bit.

Posted by amysalley on February 8, 2007 - Thursday at 10:52 AM

No comments: