Saturday, October 13, 2007

8/8/06 - night of the blue donkey

August 8, 2006 - Tuesday

12:22 PM - night of the blue donkey
Current mood: proud

Last night, I went to Edwyna'sart show at the Flicker Bar, my newest home away from home. She has spent the better part of the last several ______ [insert accurate measurement to highlight how much of her recent life has been completely occupied by this project] creating this beautiful blue donkey paintings. Click on the link for a thorough description of what she's doing with the proceeds from this artwork.

What's really amazing is...wow. Ha. I was about to say one thing as if there's just one amazing thing about her undertaking, when really there is an inexhaustible list. I showed up to Flicker at 7:04, just minutes after the official art opening had kicked off. Jim was tending bar and told me that I'd better hurry, that the paintings were going fast. I looked to the wall and realized that he (and the dream I'd had that day, a dream in which I'd showed up early and all the paintings had been sold before the show'd even begun) spoke the truth--several paintings already had neon orange post-it notes next to them, denoting the fact that they'd been claimed by loyal fans. My immediate favorite, one of a donkey peeking around the corner of a frame soaked in orange, was taken. Another one that immediately caught my eye was one in which the blues were gorgeously saturated and a donkey's face was at the forefront--also taken (by Jim, of all people). Alas. But my painting is really quite charming, and definitely one of my favorites of all the forty that were on display last night. You'll have to see it later, my friends, or else go to Flicker with me and buy me a beer so I can point out to you the adorable square painting where my blue ass stares out from a field under a cloud-spotted sky.

Edwyna sold out in about an hour to a chorus of excited, smiley cheers and happiness. She was especially entertaining to watch in her blue dress as she rushed around--the disappointment of not getting to talk to the utterly busy woman was balanced by the fact that we were treated to watching her stuff wads of cash between her breasts as she got paid. Ha! Woohoooooo, Edwyna!!

Go vote today, Athens. If one lady can work this hard for the Democratic party, we can step out of our homes and take a few minutes to punch a few dots at a voting booth in this insufferable heat.

1 Comment

(Steady) Eddy

One month of painting and another week to prepare them for display. That is what goes in the blank.

This morning,
I took the kid to school, drove out to a farm to take care of a friend's pet rats, then went by the school to VOTE.I like activity at the school on voting day so the kids sense something special happening. That is why I don't go the the Board of Elections. However, I am grateful we all have the opportunity to vote early there.

I am so happy you like your painting. Thanks for not being too disappointed in not getting your first choice. Thanks for buying one. If they had not sold out, I certainly would not consider painting any more. So your purchase has given a few other people the opportunity to own a blue donkey as well.I couldn't look into people's faces and tell them that was IT. So there will be 25 more for $25. But THEN that is IT. I will need to get paid after that. AND I am always available for commissions, just to let you and everybody else know.

Posted by (Steady) Eddy on August 8, 2006 - Tuesday at 1:10 PM

No comments: