Thursday, October 25, 2007

Jesus paints

I'm prejudiced. This I know to be true. Most notably, I'm prejudiced when it comes to Preachy Christians. I try try try not to be and have gotten so much better about it, but I can feel the scoff rising up through my abdomen when I encounter an In-Your-Face-Christian. I guess this would happen if another religion were the predominant religion of the U.S. of A., but that's not the case.

Maybe my distaste for preachiness stems from attending a high school chock full of FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athlete) members, many of whom wore their religion as a fashion statement and not as a way of life. Maybe I sided too much with the distastefully bitter Other Side, the side that was too quick to roll eyes and assume that anyone who claimed to believe in Jesus and God was not to be trusted, was someone who was surely full of crap and hypocrisy.

Now I am not sure where I stand. Lord knows I'm not sure what I believe. My parents are both fallen away Catholics who are now vehement secular humanists. My sister is more like me, I think, not so quick to say there is no god but not quite so willing to faithfully declare that she's sure there is one. Then again, I haven't ever asked her point-blank what her thoughts on the matter were. Apart from talking about our parents' shifting views and our mutual interest in the more liberal side of the Unitarian Universalist movement, she and I haven't talked much about religion and spiritualism as it personally affects us.

So, as I said, I've gotten better about the automatic snobbery with which I encounter those who want to convert me. I have little to no problem with people who do their own thing and don't try to involve me.

Today, as I pulled into my parking lot, I saw a van of one of the painting companies that's giving us estimates on recoloring our lovely neighborhood. I was disappointed in myself to feel that first reaction, the reaction that sounded like the mimicking that would come straight from my parents' mouths: "HIS COLORS PAINTING? They're not going to paint our houses!"

I'm such a snob! Who cares what the company's called? As long as the paint job is good and the price is right, right?

But, come on.... His Colors Painting?
Ughhh..

No comments: