Saturday, October 13, 2007

5/30/06 - I love Georgia.

May 30, 2006 - Tuesday

1:47 PM - I love Georgia.

Last night as Crackbaby & I stepped out of her apartment into the warm air, I said, "I love this. Is it that I'm from here, so I just love it because I'm home, or is it Georgia?" "I think it's Georgia," she replied. She's traveled much more extensively than I have, but I have had my fair share of trips and voyages. And there's nothing that makes me feel as at home and wonderful as summer nights in Georgia.

At the Other Purple House Sunday night, I saw my first lightning bugs of the year. I contemplated trying to catch one as a way of officially marking the beginning of the season, but I didn't end up getting out of the awfully uncomfortable wooden chair to do so. Laziness? Perhaps. But I also didn't want to rush it. Summer's barely here, and if I push it along too much, it'll feel as if I'm trying to make it go faster. Of course, as usual, I want it to stretch out languidly and last as long as possible.

When my grandma came to visit in the 80s, I remember her remarking on the view from the plane window: "There are just so many trees! There's just green--everywhere!" I was only six years old then, but I look back on that moment as the time I first truly realized that the American landscape shifted remarkably from one place to another. We may be cutting down trees like crazy, but in Athens and in Atlanta we're still lucky to have as much greenery as we do. I love the humid warmth at night, not needing to bundle up with a jacket as you sit outside underneath the stars and lightning bugs.

Happy summer.

3 Comments - 2 Kudos

M * A * C

Well said, Janet.

Posted by M * A * C on June 1, 2006 - Thursday at 10:58 PM

No comments: