Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Jot 'Em Down BBQ

After babysitting teensy baby Adrian (whom I should quit calling "teensy," as he's 15 months old now--but man, he's so damned cute), I drove back to the downtown/Boulevard area to my sweet, sweet home. My beau wanted to treat me to lunch, which was just swell. We drove to Jot 'Em Down BBQ, which meant a drive back to the East Side. But that's okay--we took a different route, traveling along Milledge and listening to each other moan and groan as we endured the 2 minute "traffic jam" that is the ever-congested Five Points intersection.

The restaurant and store was over 85 degrees inside. Apparently their air conditioning went out that morning. It's October 17th today, and a few hours of no air conditioning meant it was summertime hot inside. What's the deal?

I liked the barbecue but didn't love it. Maybe I didn't choose the right sauces, the right combinations. They had a special side today with the unappetizing title of cabbage casserole--to my delight, it was delicious and really flavorful. If you go to Jot 'Em Down and it's being served, I recommend it. Big portions, affordable prices (especially if you get a boy to pay), and a genuinely kitschy environment--cans of soup and meat and loaves of white bread for sale line the shelves, and old-timey signs (ones actually from the past, not ones recently mass-produced) are on the walls. A fun place, and not far from downtown at all, as I had always assumed.

Jot 'Em Down Store & BBQ
150 Whitehall Rd
Athens, GA 30605
(706) 549-2110

No comments: