Saturday, October 13, 2007

8/2/06 - battle o' the brains

August 2, 2006 - Wednesday

9:17 PM - battle o' the brains

My mom and I recently had a rather hilariously intense disagreement about an utterly inconsequential event. The main frustration for each of us was, of course, that both of us were sure we were absolutely right. Why would we be so stubborn, you ask? (Don't answer that, you smart alecks.) We were stubborn because we were relying on our famous memories to support what each of us thought were the so-called facts. (I knew I was right all along.)

My mom was so stubborn about being right about this [false] memory that it began to drive me slightly insane--I found myself verging on hysteria as I tried to explain bit by bit the intricacies of my memory, patiently outlining the details that would gently highlight her error. But no. At last I proposed a bet--and once I offered up my terms, her jaw dropped in recognition of just how seriously I held my convictions.

"Okay, let's bet. Something big. If I'm wrong....If I'm wrong, I will give you my _Grey's Anatomy_ Season 1 DVDs."
[insert jaw drop + silence]
My dad commented on the sheer audacity I was displaying by challenging my mom's impeccable memory. I hastened to point out that I, his younger daughter, just so happened to inherit that memory.

"Okay, Mom. What is something important to you? What will you give up if you're wrong?"
"I'm not wrong."
"Okay, sure. But if you are. If by chance you are. What will you give up?"
"What do you want?"
"_Arrested Development_ Season 2."
"Deal."

We shook hands before proceeding to investigate the facts.

Suffice it to say that I am now the proud owner of a brand-new copy of _Arrested Development_ Season 2. My mom's pride was too wounded for me to gloat by saying she's wrong, but....

Let's just say I was right.

2 Comments - 2 Kudos

Crystal

At some point, you should find a way to work in age affecting the memory/brain into a conversation with her. Just for kicks! Nothing like a harmless age joke between mother and daughter!

Congrats on the big win! So will you be in front of the tv all weekend watching your prize???

Posted by Crystal on August 3, 2006 - Thursday at 10:17 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


jh

OK. Now puuulllleeeeaaaasssee tell us what teh hell you were arguing about.

Posted by jh on August 8, 2006 - Tuesday at 4:04 PM

No comments: