Saturday, October 13, 2007

5/24/06 - a throwback to the good ol' days...

May 24, 2006 - Wednesday

2:58 AM - a throwback to the good ol' days...
Current mood: annoyed

When I lived in Lake Worth, Florida, my AmeriCorps friends & I inhabited a little slice o' hell (okay, I'm being dramatic--how'd you guess?) called Count de Hoernle Student Village. Each and every night, the bass boomed and the residents yelled until all hours of the night. Suzanne may have the fondest memories of the Scary Next Door Neighbor Who Actually WAS Crazy and Beat Up His Own Boom Box in the Parking Lot. Liz may recall the night we went outside patrolling the complex for the person whose car horn would not stop continously honking in this awful, awful tone. We were warned by smarter, less sleep-deprived comrades that pounding on the door of the suspect, a known drug dealer, and cursing mercilessly might not be the best course of action.

Though I've gotten used to the now-quaint trains as they rumble their way past Addieville each and every night (and by night I mean hour), I am not used to human beings keeping me awake past the hour of say, oh, eleven p.m. It's 3 AM and my nice but loud neighbor plus the dude who seems to be his new roommate (ugggghhh) are entertaining an equally boisterous ladyfriend. They are yelling and wooing and, believe it or not, talking about everyday, mundane things on the front porch. Here's the problem: the decibel level is out of this world. There is no reason on earth any human should talk this loudly to another. It is a quiet summer night, yet they project their voices and laughter as if they are in a crowded club.

It's so much fun for me since my three big, ultra-thin bedroom windows are just feet away from said front porch! I can't wait to assume the role of Crotchety Old Neighbor again. At least here in Addieville I don't actually fear that I might find my tires or arm slashed for speaking up. O, Count de Hoernle Student village! I do not miss you much at all right now....

No comments: