Saturday, October 13, 2007

5/11/06 - Drinking in L.A., part II

May 11, 2006 - Thursday

6:51 PM - Drinking in L.A., part II
Current mood: cheerful

I'm on a lil' street some of you may have heard of. It's called Sunset Boulevard--ring any bells? Well, I sit here and feel happy because I just finished my last UGA requirement (for real this time--had forgotten about that pesky lil' self-evaluation form) and am drinking good coffee and watching funny artsy L.A. types and am going to see a movie in a few minutes at the world-famous Arc Light Theatre. Nice, huh? Oh, cheery Janny hath returned!

Yesterday, Carley picked me up at 1:00 and we drove straight to a fancypants house in the Hollywood Hills for a Women & Wine event. Carley's friend is an event planner who organized this fancypants Hollywood party, and we got to be the champagne-pourers. Celebrities present included (and were limited to) Amy Ruby-who-got-pregnant-by-Noel-on-Felicity-Season-1 Smart Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting and Bonnie Somerville Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting, whose one song from the _Garden State_ soundtrack I like but whose face I had never seen.

Admittedly, I had a really fun afternoon in spite of the early afternoon sweaty heat that suddenly shifted to late-evening chill. (Note early 90s bright purple sweatshirt borrowed by Women & Wine founder, who was hosting the party.) There were lots of women, but no wine. Go figure. Lots of Veuve Clicquot, however, and we were encouraged to drink it to our hearts' content. Boy oh boy, did I--three whole baby glasses and one belly ache later, I wasn't sure if it was the pink bubbly or the fancy petits-fours that had made me feel icky.

The most common phrase running through my head (the phrase that Self was telling Self, that is) was, "Don't be judgmental don't be judgmental don't be judgmental." It was just hard to identify with the women whose conversations I overheard. Lots of talk of Mary Kay products delivered in really high-pitched voices being emitted from caked-on makeup faces. Don't be judgmental, Janet.

Just call me an interested observer. Very interested.
I left with a bottle of champagne (yay), $150 (yay again!), and miscellaneous free stuff that the fancy ladies had been given as party favors. Yippee. I think I came out the winner.

Here are some shots of the end of the evening--can you tell we're getting a bit punch drunk workin' the champagne table?


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 Comments

Joe

Champagne is wine, Janet.

Posted by Joe on May 11, 2006 - Thursday at 11:34 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


SUPER JAN!!

I don't feel dumb for not knowing that.

You, however, feel like a lush.

Posted by SUPER JAN!! on May 12, 2006 - Friday at 12:36 AM

No comments: