Saturday, October 13, 2007

9/26/06 -where is my mind?

September 26, 2006 - Tuesday

2:24 PM - where is my mind?

No one here would argue with me when I say that I can be moderately spacey from time to time, but two events in the past four days have made me ask myself where the hell my mind is--hence the musical subject line.

On Saturday, I went to the grocery store after working a half day at the Ropes course. Thrilled to be feeling energetic, I zipped around Kroger, filling my cart with yummy sustenance (la nourriture, as Kelli M. is wont to say) and ending up at the pharmacy to pick up some meds. I reached into my bag to fetch the much-needed, overly used American Express charge card when I had an unpleasant revelation: my credit card, as well as my credit card and my license, was not in my bag.

I felt like a senile old lady as I asked the kind sir stocking (stalking?!) yogurt if he could assist me; he offered to put the entire cart in the gigantic behind-the-scenes dairy cooler while I drove home to retrieve my funds. Thirty minutes later, I got back. The embarrassment flushed my face pink for just a few seconds, to be honest--what really got me was how flighty I'd been. As I said, I can be absent-minded from time to time, but come on!

And then today I went to transfer my cards from my purse to my pocket when I noticed that my debit card wasn't among them. "Well," thought I, "I'm sure that after I deposited my meager babysitting check last night I just put the card in my pocket instead of back into my purse." A couple hours later, I put my laptop on my lap (fancy that) and logged into my facebook account. Some stranger by the name of M. Duckworth (ha!) had messaged me to say that he had found an ATM card in the Bank of America machine downtown--was it mine?

What is wrong with me?

Someone needs a nap. Or a vacation. Or no more naps. Or no more vacations. Or something. A slap in the face?

The job I went to apply for today was filled yesterday.
My breakfast date was canceled but ended up being rescheduled for later.
Tomorrow I have lunch with my former adviser/prof, Bonnie. Excitement. Then the Darfur meeting.
Thursday and Friday mornings = babysitting cute children.
Thursday daytime I'll be driving on I-85. Yessssss. This means I'll see a boy I like soon. Smiles all around.
Friday Carly & Robbie will be in town to visit!! It's no big AmeriCorps reunion, but it's still really pleasing to this here lassie.

Currently listening :
Magnolia Electric Co.
By Songs: Ohia
Release date: By 04 March, 2003

5 Comments - 1 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Crystal

I know how you feel. Somehow I managed to leave the house without my cell phone today! Fortunately, we have been reunited.

Posted by Crystal on September 26, 2006 - Tuesday at 3:22 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Katie

Don't feel bad Bummy... I consider myself completely non-spacey but I do things like this ALL THE TIME! I blame it on being a teacher and being required to think of too many things at a time.

Posted by Katie on September 26, 2006 - Tuesday at 7:40 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Joe





The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.


--Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.
 
-Lizzy Bishop

Posted by Joe on September 27, 2006 - Wednesday at 6:05 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Pete

Today I looked out my front door ... and my bike was gone!

"How... it was locked ... what the hell?"

Then I remembered: I'd ridden it to work yesterday, then forgot, and walked home.

You think YOU'RE spacy?

Posted by Pete on September 28, 2006 - Thursday at 8:37 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


jh

yesterday i put an 8 ft. ladder on my boss's truck rack. we drove about three miles until we reached a speed that forced the 30 lb. ladder into flight right into the path of an oncoming truckasaurus. you see, i forgot to tie the damn thing down. luckily only the ladder was demolished as it landed flatly in the truck's path and it ran over. i narrowly escaped a disaster as only seconds before the truck my boss's wife passed by us in her volvo. the volvo would have been fucked! lucky i only had to fork over $90 and by my boss a new ladder. (no, i wasn't stoned....i had NO excuse).

Posted by jh on October 4, 2006 - Wednesday at 1:56 PM

No comments: