Monday, October 29, 2007

Halloween

I still haven't begun my Halloween costume. Every year I get inspired the night of Halloween, approximately seven minutes before I'm set to meet friends out for drinks and haunted debauchery. This leaves little to no time to construct a believable costume. The year before last I was a naughty little pirate, complete with a jaunty and mute parrot on my shoulder. (Thanks to Heather M., who willingly left said parrot at my house after my pirate party the month prior to Halloween. Ah, the pirate party. What fun.) That year (or the one before? or after? ah, who cares?) I also had some Halloween fun in NYC--got to dress up as one of the Clue gang with Brookie, her brother, and crew. I got assigned Mr. Green. I was believable in context but confusing outside of it. That evening I got a Migraine--so what else is new?--and ended up taking the subway alone back to Brooklyn to Brookie's apartment. I've had better Halloweens.

Last year I wore my mom's electric blue velour dress. Featuring a metal looped zipper-pull and a wide collar, this little number is super short and just so happens to be what MC wore on her first date with Duke. Ha! I paired it with some cheapy devil horns I borrowed from Kat after my homemade ones withered to nothingness. I also got my hands on Kat's plastic pitchfork, so I ended up pretty obvious: a devil with a blue dress on. I saw just one other girl with the same costume.

This year I was inspired by only one idea: to be Olive Oyl. What fun to have Jim "Bluto" Wilson as my counterpart. He's got the convincing beard, the one he refuses to shave. And with a little cap, the right shirt, and a fierce glare, he certainly can look the part. But he's bartending at Flicker that night and says it's a no-go. I've tried to convince him to change his mind and he won't.

So now I think I'll be Olive Oyl, tall and skinny and lanky as all get-out. But I've assembled not one part of my outfit. I procrastinate even on the most fun tasks! Getting a costume together is supposed to be invigorating and giggle-inducing. Instead I find myself dreading it. When the time comes, though--that is, when it's 9:00 PM on Wednesday night and I'm already late to meet people out, I'll be rushing around like mad, wishing I had more time. The ideas will be floating freely through the air so fast that I can't catch them quickly enough to use them. What creativity! What inspiration!

Procrastination is the devil.

Boo!

No comments: