Saturday, October 13, 2007

8/4/06 - can't get you out of my head...

August 4, 2006 - Friday

11:34 AM - can't get you out of my head...
Current mood: frustrated

Dear Persistent Migraine,

You have been plaguing me for days. (Well, to be honest, you've been plaguing me for over half my life now, but we won't get nitpicky here). This summer you've been remarkably kind to me, appearing only once in a while instead of showing up each and every day as you are wont to do. But last week you showed up and I acknowledged you, took the extravagantly expensive medication to show you politely to the door, and moved on. And you retreated only to come back immediately. As this is your pattern, you "rebounder," you, I understood and took more $25 pills, knowing that it's your tendency to go away after the second time you come back full-force. But you just keep showing up in these intense waves, and never when I expect you to.

Yesterday I thought we had at last parted ways. Could it be that this summer of respite has been just that, and that real life is settling in again and I've already grown accustomed to the new medicinal regimen set out by my neurologist? Must I up the ante and take even more brain-controlling drugs each day to keep you at bay? Or is this just a particularly bad week I must deal with? I certainly hope the last scenario is the one we're dealing with, because if I wake up at 6 AM with blinding pain behind my eyeballs yet again, I will freak out for good. All told, months upon months of my life have been spent in such agony (not counting the days of more mild pain that I have learned to plow through without paying the pain much attention), and I'm sick of it. Now that I've had just a couple of months of feeling somewhat normal--only having one or two severe Migraine attacks a week--I am spoiled and feel too weak to take on any more pain.

1 Comment


Joe

Very sorry to hear you're in pain, my lovely. If your migraine were a slug I would pour salt all over it.

Posted by Joe on August 4, 2006 - Friday at 12:44 PM

No comments: