Monday, November 19, 2007

true love is...

...a shared myspace profile.

I know this guy who is in a couple, you see. And he and the now-wife have a COUPLE profile on myspace.com. Does anyone else find this to be strange? There are blog postings to each other on there. This is what the blog headline proclaims: "A diary for just us to share our thoughts and feelings with just us. So Honest, So Open, So Exposed. No Hiding, No Walls. Just us Free with each other."

What the hell...?

Here's one of the two blog entries that's not set to private. Perhaps you, like me, will wish instantly that it was while also feeling a strange sense of mysterious glee while reading it:

SUBJECT: whatever

I'm sorry baby..

There are just some things I cannot forgive nor should I forget. Vengeance. Retaliation. Retribution. Big words with a simple, common meaning -- that good will always prevail. She will pay.



Perhaps I'm just not hip to all that is cool for internet-savvy couples these days. I mean, Liz and I had to force our beaux to make myspace profiles after all--clearly my relationship is not ready for his-n-hers romantic profiles and utterly candid blogging.

Why did I go to this page in the first place, you ask? It has everything to do with the fact that I decided to log into my Friendster account for the first time in a month or three. If you so choose, you can turn off the "anonymously view profiles" function when on the Friendster site. I turned off this function long ago, which means everyone whose page I visit can see that I've visited; in turn, I know when people have seen my page, so long as they've not made it so their visits are anonymous. The wife in this hyper-web-love-dyad-delight has looked at my profile recently, so I looked at hers. There's a link to the myspace page there.

Anywho. The myspace page in and of itself is nothing to be that entertained by; the concept of it is really what I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Does anyone else have a couple's page out there? Am I crazy to think that this is freakin' nutso? A little invasive? When I'm on their page, I feel like I'm in the middle of a coffee shop, wedged immobile between couples whispering loudly in incessant babytalk. (Maybe that's because they repeatedly refer to each other as "my baby" on the page--it's mainly written in first person, but there's clearly a dialogue between Baby 1 and Baby 2 going on. Who's who? In love, it doesn't matter, don't you see??)

It's horrendous for me, yet I look anyway.

Luckily for us all, it's time to head out the door for more tutoring. Adieu.

No comments: