Thursday, November 1, 2007

boo!

Another Halloween, another crazy night of dressed-up tomfoolery in Athens.

Jim had the idea that I should dress up as Olive Oyl. I do believe I mentioned this in a previous blog posting. Well, I did do this, and I pulled it off beautifully, having all the makings for a genuine Olive Oyl outfit (and body) right here in this little house and head o' mine. For people reading this who either don't know me or haven't seen me in awhile, I'm long and very lanky--and a bit too skinny for my frame. Believe you me, this makes for a good start.

I found a long, stretchy black skirt I'd bought at a NYC street fair my first or second year of college. Paired it with two shirts, both of which were tucked in to the hiked-up skirt: first, a tight-fitting white turtleneck (gross), then a red, long-sleeved shirt. I made sure to show the white cuffs of the shirt and the white turtleneck from underneath the red shirt. Then I wore big, clunky, beat-up brown boots (another 1998 NYC purchase), my old Doc Martens, on top of a new pair of bright white tube socks.

The hair was the hardest part. You know how Olive Oyl has that creepy little hairdo--it's all slicked back with Princess Lea-like loops on the side covering her ears and a little rounded ponytail-bun in the back right on her neck? I managed to recreate it! Armed with handfuls of rarely-used hair gel and never-used hairspray, I created a cement-like helmet of hair.

Next came the makeup. Had to put on lots of pale makeup, exaggerated eyebrows, rosy cheeks, and not much lipstick.

I'm thrilled to report that, when all was said and done, it was quite obvious to the casual observer that I was Olive Oyl.

As soon as my card reader is discovered in this messy house o' mine, I will post some photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As soon as my card reader is discovered in this messy house o' mine, I will post some photos.

Get to discoverin'!!!