Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Marilyn Monroe


I was never really intrigued by Marilyn Monroe. Not like most people tend to be, that is. Her life didn't intrigue me, and neither did her tragic death. Sure, dying alone was heartbreaking and sad. What I heard of her life was vaguely interesting, but not enough to even, say, watch an A&E Biography on her.

Reading Joyce Carol Oates's Blonde changed everything for me. Granted, it's a fictionalized version of her life. JCO described it as a project she hoped to make psychologically accurate despite its not being historically accurate--writing a biography was never her goal. (The book is excellent, by the way.) Since finishing the book a year or more ago, I've wanted to read an actual and factual account of Marilyn's life. And there are many to be had.

Upon investigation, I discovered that Donald Spoto's biography of Marilyn Monroe was the most well-revered and supposedly the most accurate. Reviewers claimed it was well-written, to boot. I'm only 52 pages in--it's dense and, understandably, it's filled with information that I don't want to glean over. But it is good! And I continue be intrigued.

Each time I've mentioned my reading this book, Amy has said, "I want to read Jenna Jamison's biography. I've heard it's really good." So since she doesn't comment on my blog, I'll comment on her behalf. There you go, Amy.

No comments: