Sunday, November 25, 2007

Anne with an e!

A couple of hours ago, I turned on our local PBS channel (GPB, Georgia Public Broadcasting). As often happens when it's time for the seasonal fundraiser, the lovely public TV folks are airing one of the miniseries featuring Anne Shirley. This evening's delightful showing is Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story, a movie I never even knew existed! Anne and Gilbert were engaged when I turned on the TV. I just came back in the room after having had a shower, and I gather they're married now. A quick internet search leads me to the information that in the last installment of the story, part two, the couple was already married--at the beginning of part three, they're not yet married. Um, where are you, continuity editors...?

But back to the good stuff. I love Anne Shirley. I just love her. I've seen the first Anne of Green Gables (originally aired in 1985) about 1,985 times. The one I'm watching now was created and aired in 2000. The beginning of this new chapter was charming. Anne was living the dream--writing a novel, serendipitously having gained employment at a New York publishing house while Gilbert had a prestigious position as a doctor at Bellevue.

It's all downhill now that I decided to take a shower break. Gilbert's in the war, Anne went to the front to find him, and I discovered thanks to this Wikipedia entry that this particular installment was not written by novelist Lucy Maud Montgomery at all. That somehow cheapens it.

Anywho. That's your Anne update. Anne with an e, she'll have you know.

No comments: