Thursday, February 19, 2009

let's race with destiny



I started watching this as a joke and then ended up with tears streaming down my cheeks. Thanks, Whitney.

I hear that she's doing well these days, that she's kicked the drugs and is coming out with a new album. That's wonderful news--as much fun as it was to marvel over her non sequiturs and generally dazed, giggly nature on interviews and that awful reality show she Bobby had, I was always sad to see how badly she was doing. This is the woman whose poster I had on my wall after my mom and aunt went to a late 80s WH concert. (I wonder now where that poster is. I seem to recall there was a crooked rectangle situated inside another, pink and/or teal confetti sprinkled all around Whit's face. God, that was a good poster--it was on the back of my bedroom door for quite awhile there.) I did a Google image search for it and came up dry. Luckily I found a couple other gems that made me feel better. Look how adorable she was!


I'm hopeful that she really is doing well and that it lasts awhile. At least creepy Bobby is out of the picture.

I want onnneeee moment in tiiiiimmmmeee!

Looks like it's time to pop in that Greatest Hits album!

3 comments:

Mary Carol said...

Thanks for this link to the video. On THE VIEW, there was a clip of her speaking (not singing)at the recent Grammys and she sounded pretty incoherent, and I figured,"uhoh, there she goes again." But her voice is magnificent. That concert Aunt J and I saw in 1986 at Chastain was fabulous. Whitney was charming, warm, and able to communicate with the audience both in talk and song.

Janet said...

Hmm....Both you & Tina mentioned her Grammy incoherence. Maybe she's not on the wagon after all, or maybe her brain is fried.

"I make too much money to do crack....Crack is whack." -Whitney Houston, 2002

Anonymous said...

wow, this was really great to see Janet, i havent listened to WH in quite a while and forgot how truly talented she is.. lately, its been so easy to only remember her troubles/problems, but that will never take away her true gift of voice. its sad that her struggles are so public. can't be good for the ol' ego..

i hope she is in recovery and healthy!!
catherine.