Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Athens Banner Herald's readers' choice awards 2008

The awards are now posted on the newspaper's website. For the most part, the winners are predictable and boring. No big surprises there.

I was really sad to see this:

Bookstore
1st place - Barnes & Noble
2nd place - Borders

People! This is terrible! In the town we all love so much and believe is cool, independent, and creative, our favorite bookstores are national chains? (Not that there's much of a choice--that is, until I am able to open my store.)

The end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those who vote in such matters do not necessarily think like you or I. Did you know that KFC has the best fried chicken in town?

I look forward to voting for your shop next time around...and for Food for the Soul. I think they have my favorite fried chicken (my momma's aside, naturally).

MBsTs

erl said...

sadly, it was the same in atlanta. borders (or was it B&N?) was voted best bookstore in town.

my dear band it's elephant's wrote up a scathing blog about it:

http://threefortysevenaugusta.com/2008/09/the-worst-of-the-best-of-consumer-culture/

so ridic. so, so ridic.